NetEnt first announced that they would be creating a Planet of the Apes themed slot way back in February at the annual ICE conference. Since then, there's been much speculation about what this new game would entail, and when it would be released! Much of the excitement surrounding the slot comes from the fact that players and the industry know that the brand is often at their very best when producing a branded title.
Fast forward to now and the slot, whch is simply named Planet of the Apes, is due to be released in one month's time! Furthermore, NetEnt have released a full length preview of the game so that fans can see what's in store. Today, we're unpacking the preview video and weighing up if this highly anticipated slot will have been worth the wait.
When we first heard the news that NetEnt would be creating this slot, we weren't sure which film the game would be based on. The Planet of the Apes franchise began over 50 years ago, yet the modern trilogy only started in 2011. Moreover, the latest film, War for the Planet of the Apes, was released this summer and enjoyed critical and box office success.
Well, as we can now see, NetEnt's offering will actually focus on the two first installments of the modern trilogy — Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. However, instead of combining the two films and therefore muddling up the imagery and narratives, players are presented with a sort of two-slots-in-one affair.
Planet of the Apes sports 10 reels and 40 paylines, but the game is divided into two ‘play areas', each focused on one of the films. This means that, essentially, each play area works independently from the other. They do, however, spin together meaning it will cost you the same as a normal slot and there are certain bonus features where the two games join.
Perhaps the most striking thing about Planet of the Apes, aside from it's mammoth size, is the quality of the graphics. Whilst we would expect nothing less from a branded NetEnt slot, we think they've really hit it out of the park this time. The slot features clips taken from both movies, excellent animation, blockbuster effects and symbols on the reels include characters from the series. Moreover, the game performs flawlessly on both mobile and desktop, and still manages to look amazing on a smaller screen.
Overall, Planet of the Apes looks to be a highly entertaining, if not a little chaotic, game. We're sure it will appeal to a huge audience too as, even if you're not a big fan of the films, you can't really argue with it's innovative design. The slot boasts six bonus features, which are all listed below and there's up a whopping 3,000x your stake up for grabs! Moreover, as the slot is playable from as little as 20p all the way up to £200, it's perfect for casual players and high rollers alike.
Did You Say Six Bonus Features?
Yep, you heard us right, Planet of the Apes boasts not one, not two but six bonus rounds! This not only makes for an action packed game, but it also gives you plenty of chances to win big.
- Stacked Wilds –– The slot's wild is represented by a circular symbol. Fans of the movies will know that this is the pattern from Caesar's attic window, but don't worry if that reference has gone over your head. The wild works as usual, substituting for all other symbols, however it will also sometimes appear stacked. If a stacked set of wilds appear in one ‘play area,' it will be mirrored in the other set of reels, giving you two full reels of wild symbols.
- The Rise Bonus Feature –– As the name suggests, the Rise bonus feature occurs within the Rise play area and it's triggered when you land a bonus symbol on the first reel. It will grant you instant cash prizes for every human or ape symbol that is present on the reels, and there's up to 79.5x your wager up for grabs!
- The Dawn Bonus Feature — In contrast to the Rise bonus feature, the Dawn bonus feature is triggered when the bonus symbol appears on the 10th reel. It transforms all ape and human symbols into the same high paying symbol, which means that it's almost certain that you'll create a big win.
- The Dual Bonus Feature –– The Dual bonus feature can be triggered randomly throughout the game and when it does, two symbols will be chosen from each play area. These symbols are the only ones which will appear for that spin, with the rest of the reels showing blank spaces. When a symbol lands, it will stick and if it lands in the opposite play area, it will transfer to the other side. You'll receive re-spins so long as there are new symbols sticking, giving you the chance to fill the board with the same symbol and win up to 1,000x your stake.
- Rise Extra Spins –– This extra spins round is triggered when you find three or more scatter symbols anywhere within the Rise play area. You'll be awarded 10 extra spins and during the spins any wilds that appeared will be collected and stored. On your final spin, all accumulated wilds are added back on to the reels, giving you plenty of chances to create a winning combination.
- Dawn Extra Spins — The Dawn extra spins are triggered when you land three or more scatter symbols in the Dawn play area and you'll receive 15 extra spins to start with. During your spins, special symbols will appear, which will count towards filling one of three ‘wild meters'; the ‘multiplier meter,' the ‘extra wild meter' and the ‘extra spins meter'. Three symbols will fill each meter, which they will either grant you extra multipliers, extra wilds, or three more spins each time.
Planet Of The Apes Launches On October 23rd
As you can probably already tell, we're more than excited for this new game. We think it has the potential to be one of NetEnt's finest slots ever and it looks like it's definitely been worth the wait. The game will be released in one month's time on October 23rd and it will be available to play at all good NetEnt sites.
Furthermore, Planet of the Apes can be played on both mobile and desktop and it's likely there'll be a lot of fanfare surrounding it's release — think extra spins and more! Put the date in your diary ASAP guys, as this is one slot launch you don't want to miss out on.