Koi Princess – Intro
We are sure that all the anime and manga lovers among us will be enticed by the newest NetEnt offering that is the Koi Princess mobile slot. Even if you despise Japanese comics, there are so many features in this slot that you will feel compelled to give it a quick whirl anyway. So, in this Koi Princess slot review, we will highlight the best features and the best ways to win big!
About The Slot
Forget Starburst and forget Twin Spin as Koi Princess is all about the features. In fact, we don't think that NetEnt has ever released a slot that is so feature-heavy, and this will definitely appeal to those to whom mobile gambling is more about the entertainment than the cash. But, of course, money plays an important part and this little Japanese themed creation sure knows how to deliver mega wins!
The Theme Unlike Any Other
We are sure that you've seen Oriental slots before, such as NetEnt's very own Geisha Wonders for example. Well, forget everything you thought you knew that makes such a slot successful and re-imagine it with Koi Princess.
The background is that of a serene waterfall surrounded by bamboo forests and cherry blossoms. Meanwhile the Princess herself stands to the left and jumps for joy in a real Japanese fan-girl way – by covering her mouth and giggling too. For some, this might be too authentic and even repulsive if you're not into Japanese comics, but we definitely see the fun in it. The machine is definitely unique and we applaud NetEnt for finding a theme that's still been largely untouched by other developers.
The soundtrack is also splendid – soothing, yet active and engaging enough not to put you to sleep. Actually, hearing the soundtrack of this mobile slot made us realise why it might be called Koi Princess. Koi is a type of a carp fish that is pretty common in decorative ponds across the world. Japanese keep these fish for good luck and think that they will bring them wealth – weird pets if you ask us. In any case, the aura surrounding these pretty fish is that of tranquility and you certainly get that when playing Koi Princess.
Return to player
Minimum bet (p)
Maximum bet (£)
Breaking The Mould Of Mobile Slots
If you thought that some of the other games that NetEnt released in 2015 were outside the box, then you haven't played Koi Princess. Not only does it have the unique theme that we spoke of above, but it also has gameplay that is innovative and engaging.
The slot has five reels and three rows of symbols, with 20 fixed paylines. And although you cannot choose the number of paylines that you wish to play, you can certainly choose your bet level (from 1 to 10) and the coin value (from 0.01 to 1). So, what you can actually bet ranges from mere 20p to a considerable sum of £200. Definitely not a penny spinner, this Koi Princess machine, but it does have great wins hidden within.
Although the return to player isn't overly impressive at 95%, it sure is decent, but it's the maximum win that definitely peaked our interest. In just the base game itself (without triggering any features), you stand a chance to win a massive £100,000! That's if you score five Wild symbols, then you will increase your wager by 500 times, and if that wager is the max £200…Well, you get the point.
If you ask us, the Koi Princes slot seems to play out at around medium variance. There aren't many measly wins that we came by often. It's more the case of waiting for and triggering features to take your wins to incredible heights!
Bonus Bet And Random Feature
Let's start with a weird one – the Bonus Bet feature. You can turn the Bonus Bet on and off yourself in the bottom right corner of the screen: when it's on, your wager is doubled, but so are your chances of scoring a Random Feature, increasing the winning potential on the Bonus Wheel and Sure Win Extra Spins too. Really, we'd advise you to think about your budget and see if you can afford to double your bet to have a higher chance at the features, we we think it's most likely well worth it.
Just think about it – the Random Feature in itself makes it worthwhile! This feature can be said to be a super-feature because it contains three options for further features. When you trigger the Random Feature, you will be faced with a choice of three pretty Koi fish below the reels. By picking one, you will get to play one of the four sub-features:
- 5-Hit – awards 1 extra spin with a guaranteed 5 symbol combo win
- Random Wilds – awards 1 extra spin with 4-9 Wilds placed randomly on the reels
- Wild Reels – awards 1 extra spin with 2-5 random reels are all Wild
- Bonus Game – awards 1 extra spin with 3 Bonus symbols randomly placed, plus 1 Bonus Feature randomly awarded
Bonus Features + The Rest
Now, the most exciting bit of Koi Princess – the Bonus Features. The explanation of these within the slot itself is kind of convoluted, but we will try out best to clear things up for you as there sure are many features that can be triggered within the Bonus Features. So, when 3 bonus symbols will appear on reels 1, 3 and 5, a randomly chosen feature from the list below will be awarded:
- Sure Win Extra Spins – you'll get 10 extra spins to start with (can be re-triggered) and the win for every single extra spin will be at least as large as the largest amount you've won during the feature; furthermore, for the first five extra spins, an overlay wild is added to reel 1, 2 or 3, and for the remainder of the extra spins, one more wild is added randomly on reel 3, 4 or 5 (the position of the wilds change with each extra spin)
- Wild Reels Extra Spins – again, you'll get 10 extra spins, with the addition of anywhere from 1 to 5 random reels entirely covered with wilds, and with each spin the position of the wild reels change
- Coin Win – it's not only a cash prize that you get awarded, but also a randomly chosen multiplier between 15 and 30 times your wager too!
- Bonus Wheel – this is a pretty standard offering in mobile slots, but the Koi Princess Bonus Wheel is very exciting, awarding cash prizes, Sure Win Extra Spins, Wild Reels Extra Spins and more; the more inwards you move within the wheel, the bigger the prizes are; the centre of the wheel is the Jackpot Coin Win where you can win a minimum 25 times your bet and an astonishing maximum of 1,000x!